Who is Ron Paul?

First of all, for the record, I am a registered Independent - and could be considered either a conservative democrat or liberal republican.  My views are probably closer to the average American voter -- true, blue and middle of the road.  My political leanings are neither left or right - I think both major parties within the US are lead by extremists and the name calling and "party-line" politics makes my stomach turn.
 
But, I vote.  I figure if you don't vote, you can't bitch - and I don't want to be left out of the bitching if it does not go my way!!  So, I'm driving down the road today and see three huge RON PAUL for President banners -- different houses, different streets and actually different sections of town.  So I was wondering who is this Ron Paul - this person that has inspired someone to put a 3 foot by 8 foot banner in their yard?
 
Here's who he is....
 
Congressman Ron Paul is the leading advocate for freedom in our nation's capital. As a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Dr. Paul tirelessly works for limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies. He is known among his congressional colleagues and his constituents for his consistent voting record. Dr. Paul never votes for legislation unless the proposed measure is expressly authorized by the Constitution.In the words of former Treasury Secretary William Simon, Dr. Paul is the "one exception to the Gang of 535" on Capitol Hill.
 
Here's his record....
 
He has never voted to raise taxes.  He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.  He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.  He has never voted to raise congressional pay.  He has never taken a government-paid junket.  He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.  He voted against the Patriot Act. He voted against regulating the Internet.  He voted against the Iraq war.  He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.  He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.
 
Just the mere fact that Ron Paul has never voted himself a raise puts him above most of his fellow Congressman (actually Representatives) and then to be a Republican and vote against the both the Iraq War and the Patriot Act?  Are we sure he really is a Republican.  I'm sure there are several of his party comrades that don't really like him much - including the President and VP. 
 
I don't know what will happen in 2008, but if a Republican does win -- then let it be Ron Paul -- at least he has stood up for own personal values and voted for them.  Check more info out at http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
 

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I really enjoy your blog.

    I was wondering if you had heard of www.dadlabs.com.

    It's a really fun and informative video podcast dealing with all sorts
    of parenting issues.

    You should check it out if you get a chance.

    We need all the help we can get right?

    Keep up the great work!

    J

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and go ahead and let me know what you like and don't like. Always looking for ways to improve.