Life's Circumstances

"The last of the human freedoms: to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way."

Viktor Frankl 1905-1997, Neurologist, Psychiatrist and Author

Why is it that we believe our happiness is created somewhere out "there"? Personally, I struggle with this. I allow outside circumstances to dictate how I feel -- both good and bad feelings. When things are going good, I'm happy go luck; when they're not, I can be a real bear to be around.

Viktor Frankl knew something about bad circumstances, he spent several years in a Nazi concentration camp, saw loved ones and friends die around him. He was one of the "lucky" ones, living through the experience only to realize that he had lost all his earthly possessions.

Now if there was anyone that could have blamed life's circumstances and decided to "sit on the sidelines" of life, it was Dr. Frankl. But guess what he achieved after that horrific experience -- he wrote one of the most influential books ever published "Man's Search for Meaning" -- selling over 5 million copies just within the United States and translated into over 30 languages.

When challenged in life, we need not go too much further than thinking of people like Viktor for inspiration (but of course, there are thousands of people out there to inspire us). Ask yourself...If he can go through something like that, what can I do with my life? I bet you could do a lot - maybe it's just taking the attitude to smile at everyone - not criticize those around - hug more - whatever.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/10/2007

    Wise words Arnie - I try to live by the idea that I can't always control the things that happen in life but I can control the way I react to them. I don't always succeed but I try.

    I can't wait to hear how the football camp went.

    Cheers
    Coach

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting and go ahead and let me know what you like and don't like. Always looking for ways to improve.